Please advise me on the choice of a graduate course.

Jason Eriksen jerikse at bsd.meddean.luc.edu
Wed Oct 16 22:35:26 EST 1996

In article <53f5vf$cf8 at eis.wfunet.wfu.edu>, laubach at biogfx.neuro.wfu.edu (Mark
Laubach) wrote:
>tatsuto.ishimaru at christ-church.oxford.ac.uk (Tatsuto Ishimaru) wrote:

>>Upon these standpoint,  Could I ask you to advise me on the
>>following points, please?
>> 1) Which universities have a strong research team(S) in the area of
>>    neurogenesis?
>> 2) Should I choose a Neuroscience program, or do Biology,
>>    Developmental  Biology or Cell and Molecular biology suit me better?
>
>>Thank you very much for your kind consideration.
>>                                               Sincerely yours,
>>                                               Tatsuto ISHIMARU

Tatsuto,

I am not qualified to answer question (1).

Regarding question (2), I would strongly suggest that you attend a program
that is geared towards neuroscience; the brain is so complicated that you
will probably need to consult with several people who are experts in
different parts of brain development, which you are unlikely to find in a
program geared toward something like developmental biology or cell and
molecular biology. One important piece of advice: If a program offers you a
stipend and minimal teaching requirements, that is also a good sign of a
healthy program.

Many graduate schools, some of which I interviewed at for neuroscience, offer
little or no stipend and work their graduate students so hard with teaching
duties that many drop out. Avoid these programs; in general, they are not
worth it to the graduate student.

If you have no idea what institution you wish to enroll in,  a valuable but
neglected method is to do a library search on Medline (these searches are also
available at www.healthgate.com) for the topic "neurogenesis." Note which
institutions and which scientists have recent publications in  journals like
"Cell," "Science," "Nature," and "Journal of Neuroscience." Usually, faculty
members of labs which produce these publications will list their names either
as last or first authors. These kinds of searches, if you spend some time on
them, will tell you who is active in the neurogenesis field. Because this
search method is rather time consuming, you may want to first select several
institutions that others have recommended to you in order to narrow your
choices a bit.

If you have several institutions in mind, do Medline searches on all faculty
members that look interesting in each Institution's brochure. What you will
find will really tell you if the program is a good one and if you would be
interested in attending there.

It is recommended that you pick a graduate program that has a broad number of
faculty members with diverse interests in neuroscience, because you may find
that your interests change. Many graduate programs allow their students to do
rotations in several laboratories before picking one; almost all of my
friends, and myself as well, came to graduate school wanting to do one type of
research and ended up doing research in another area entirely.

Mark's recommendation for Bowman Gray is an excellent one; it's a really good
program (I don't say that just because I'm an alumni of Wake Forest either!)
Duke has a great graduate school as well.

I'm extremely happy with Loyola's neuroscience program as a third-year Ph.D.
student. Although I don't know any labs that specialize in neurogenesis, if
anyone wants to find out more about the neuroscience program from a Loyola
student,  please write.

Jason Eriksen