Hitting head, seeing stars

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 17 01:01:27 EST 1996

PJ Skerrett wrote:

> I write for Popular Science magazine, and for a column called FYI, I'm
> trying to answer a reader's question:
>
>       When you hit your head and see "stars," what are you really seeing?
>
> Can anyone point me to an answer for that? I've tried a couple
> neurologists/head injury experts, but haven't come up with much of an
> explanation.

...I'll tell you what I know with respect to this phenomenon, but my
work is not yet accepted by others, and since I've not been granted any
"credentials", you should not repeat any of this without either getting
other opinions on it, or stating plainly that it is by a researcher
whose work is not yet published...

...the examples of brains that folks sees in "jars", and which are
photographed for articles, etc, are "fixed"... that is they are
chemically-treated in a way that "solidifies" them... in vivo, the brain
is a semi-fluid "blob"... if a fresh brain is removed from the skull and
set on a table, it slumps a bit... like just-cooked bread pudding...
this semi-fluidity is not "accidental"... it enables elements within the
neural mass to have a degree of physical mobility... glial cells exhibit
contractile responses with respect to neural activation states... this
structural variability constitutes a "mechanism" that enters into the
tuning dynamics that occur within the brain... this's why it is that, if
one wishes to really hammer on a problem, it's best for one to set aside
some complete-devotion time during which to work on the problem... as
one works on the problem, the neural activation that occurs within one's
brain actually "molds" the physical structure of the brain to a slight,
but functional degree... this structural "molding" temporarily
alters synaptic efficacies... the contractile activities of the glia are
important in this regard... all of this helps tune the "state" of the
brain with respect to the problem... all in a way that is
extraordinarily-more-rapid than would be any dynamic that dependended
upon physical growth within neurons... this constitutes an
extremely-powerful information-processing mechanism that has a number of
important advantages (and a few disadvantages)... in this way, the brain
can flexibly generate hypotheses without having to be constantly
rewiring itself... it also allows "memories" to be stored in a
minimally-represented way (in terms of the microscopic trophic
modifications that are required)... it also helps make memory robust
(the life & death of individual cortical neurons is less important than
it would, otherwise, be, because the neural mass can "move" to
compensate for the loss of individual neurons)... the two most-important
functionalities are the minimal-storage quality and the
hypothesis-generating capability... one continually witnesses
correlates of these structural "molding" dynamics... they are why one
has the experience of something being "on the tip of one's tongue"... a
memory that's just out of reach... and why one has the experience of
"warming up to" old acquaintences after periods of long separation (in
terms of the recall of correlated data)... it takes a bit of neural
activation to "pump" the "molding" of the semi-fluid "state" so that it
becomes tuned with respect to the memories pertaining to the long-lost
acquaintance... if one is vigilant with respect to this stuff, one can
flat-out "see" it happening...

...some of the disadvantages include the retrograde memory deficits that
occur following contra coup injuries... because our brains are
semi-fluid, when one bangs one's head forcefully against a solid object,
one's brain matter "flows" like a molded jello... and crashes into the
other side of the skull... when this occurs, the physical structur of
the brain becomes disrupted to a degree... the memory deficits result
from this structural damage... normal functionality can return if the
structural damage is within the "elastic limit" of the brain's
semi-fluid "state"... however, memory for the traumatizing event will
not return because the injury will have disrupted the normal memory
consolidation period...

...another disadvantage of this semi-fluid tuning strategy is that it
renders the brain vulnerable to "abnormal" plaque-formation processes,
as occurs in Alzheimers... the plaques gradually eliminate the
fluid-structural tuning...

...another disadvantage is the occurrence of the "stars" in your
question... the "stars" occur when the semi-fluidity is stressed in a
way that approaches, or just exceeds the elastic limit, and are the
result of neural processes "dumping" their ongoing activation in a
relatively disordered fashion which allows "abnormal" combinations...
when this occurs in visual areas... the result is "flashes"...

...all-in-all, the disadvantages are trivial in comparison to the
advantages of our status as "puddin' heads" :-) ken collins