Hippocampus

kenneth paul collins KPCollins at postoffice.worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 17 17:23:28 EST 1996

Ron Blue wrote:

> > I for one was very interested to read the post from the hippocampal patient
> > (perhaps sufficiently to postpone my unsubscription from this group for
> > a while!). The emotional affects were interesting -- a classical medial
> > temporal-lobe lesion. (Note for those not familiar with the literature:
> > the emotional effects of such lesions are now thought to be due to
> > amygdala damage during a surgical lesion).
> A recent article in either Science or Nature sorry I don't remember
> which one discussed that there was up to a 10 percent lost in
> hippocampal mass in people who were chronically depressed.  One side
> was more involved than the other for the lost.  It was speculated
> that GCH caused the deterioration since similar lost was reported
> in Post-tramatic stress syndrome.  Ron Blue

...I saw something on this in _Nature_... "depression" constitutes a condition in
which there is increased "randomenss" within neural activation "states"... such
results, for instance, when one experiences the loss of a loved one... the
absence of the familiar stimulation that the loved one constituted "renders
useless" all of the microscopic trophic modifications that developed as a result
of former snesory experience driven by the loved one's presence... when
their familiar sensory correlates no longer exist, these micro mods begin to
dis_integrate, and this allows neural activation states to "go random" a bit...
and since the brain has mechanisms which actively seek to eliminate
such randomness, and since neurons survive as a function of the activation that
they actually experience, as the randomness is eliminated, neurons die off...

...the outward manifestations of "depression" are due to the way our brains are
"engineered" to "quietly mask" the "storm within" so that our behavior will not
provoke others to "move-away-from", or to attack, us... the main thing is the
pyisical restructuring that's going on within the brain as the micro mods that
have been rendered useless are dis_integrating...

...the tissue loss actually forms a "negative image" of the now-rendered-usless
stuff...

...this terribly-costly effect occurs as a function of "learned helplessness"
acquired during prior experience... folks learn to exist "trapped" within the
dynamics of rendering useless... it can be ameliorated through a shared
understanding of the underlying dynamics... such understanding throws open the
jaws of the trap, allowing the individual to escape with =cherished= memories,
all intheir place, their usefulness transformed a bit, but never-the-less,
intact... ken collins