Hippocampus

Leochner leochner at aol.com
Fri Oct 18 15:08:02 EST 1996

Responding to a note written by:

>Simon Schultz <schultz at axp01.mrc-bbc.ox.ac.uk>
>Date:	Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:46:56 +0100

>a while!). The emotional affects were interesting -- a classical medial
>temporal-lobe lesion. (Note for those not familiar with the literature:
>the emotional effects of such lesions are now thought to be due to
>amygdala damage during a surgical lesion).

In 1986 it was determined that my epileptogenic focus involved the basal
and lateral temporal regions. The posterior aspect of the focus involved
my speech area so the complete resection of my seizure focus was not
possible.  The amygdala was removed in 1986.

I have/had 3 different areas of seizure focus.  In the last 10 years my
seizures became worse. After complete analysis using subdural electrodes
they were able to determine that more tissue removal was possible.  In
April of this year a left hippocampectomy was done.

My question, wonder, thoughts??  My emotions did change after surgery in
1986. I became much more intense about things and had emotional outbursts.
Because that happened, the logic could be that the amygdala was removed,
thus the emotions changed.  Sure - but...

When the hippocampus was removed this year my emotional self has changed
dramatically.  I wish I could explain in words what has changed inside.
It is almost as if the removal ot the dead/damaged tissue has opened up
the communication to the right side.

Does the amygdala receive the emotions and "communicate" that feeling to
the hippocampus??  Does the hippocampus then say "Oh OK this is an intense
feeling, lets store this info in the permanent emotional file", or, "The
amygdala told me this is not a 'feeling' kind of thing, put this into the
'throw away' pile".

Just a ...line of thought....
..cool,!! people are interested.. (sends the good feeling to hippocampus..
the hippo says OK, I'll send this info to the brian surgery life
experience file)!!!!!!