entrainment (Some effects of the low frequency photic stimulation on limbic structures)

Igor Rubets ir at axess.com
Thu Oct 17 21:19:37 EST 1996

Gentlemen,

If it might be of any help to your discussion...

In our experiments with implanted electrodes (RPO, Hip, RF, CM Thal, Hpthl,
Am, LC, nucl. accumbens, cingulum, temp. cortex, occ. cortex, front.
cortex, and, occasionally, some other structures influencing the MFB
effects on the limbic system "behavior") we studied the effects of the low
frequency visual stimulation on the bioelectrical characteristics (EEG in
the "broad" sense) and on the behavior of the rats, guinea pigs and cats.
Animals were 4 - 10 days after implantation. Light flashes frequencies were
in the "high" delta - theta range (3 - 7 Hz). Main idea was somewhat off
the present discussion, though, I think, there is some relevant
information.

We never registered any signs of the "slowing" of the EEG. There were some
behavioral changes with the increased amount of the periods of inactivity
corresponding the transient shifts of the electric activity of limbic
structures (and the limbic system as a whole) toward the "epileptization".
Besides, the photic stimulation affected the activity in the
"theta-producing loop" (Hip-LS-MS) to the degree when it took up to 2 or
even 3 full sleep cycles to restore all the spectral characteristics of the
original theta.

I'd be happy if this information could help you.

Since the general tendency of this newsgroup shifted to more
"philosophical" matters, feel free to contact me in person if you have any
questions.

Igor

Robert Arnott <R.H.Arnott at sheffield.ac.uk> wrote in article
<5457cd$27l at mserv1.dl.ac.uk>...