Hitting head, seeing stars

Lee Kent Hempfling lkh at mail.cei.net
Sat Oct 19 13:12:38 EST 1996

Matt Jones <jonesmat at ohsu.edu> enunciated:

>What I find really interesting is that it's not just random points of
>"light", It's randomly *moving* points of light. The stars sort of swim
>around in little wavy arcs. They appear to be generated at random
>locations in the visual field, then swim a little way, then fade out
>quickly, but not instantaneously. It's really pretty cool. So my theory
>about this is that we're not just "seeing" some neurons firing, but
>actually watching the propagation of activity in waves across fields of
>neurons through the tissue. As a thumbnail estimate, I'd say that each
>little star occupies maybe one tenth of one percent of my entire visual
>field, or less. They don't seem to change much in size as they swim
>around, suggesting that the propagating wave of activity involves an
>approximately constant number of neurons as it travels (maybe this is too
>naive).
Matt;

This is confusing the input receptor with the actual visual process.
Vision is perceived in the brain not the receptors. They only accept
the external stimuli to be processed. So what appears as 'random' is
not in fact random. It is individual pathways reacting to a jolt of
increased values. When observing only the input receptors (the eyes)
it will appear to be non-causal, random etc. But it is in all
actuality the brain's processing that is doing the 'stars' the visual
experience of noticing that they appear random is only the source of
the pathway. Since they are in separate pathways they can not
interfere and do not cross, except in binding, far down the processing
pathway.

lkh
Lee Kent Hempfling...................|lkh at cei.net
chairman, ceo........................|http://www.cei.net/~lkh/ntc/