Poitical abuses in national research authority

Dr E. Buxbaum EB15 at le.ac.uk
Thu Oct 24 08:23:41 EST 1996

sue at murphy.prestel.co.uk (Sue Murphy) wrote:

>This is a very interesting and timely topic to crop up.  I couldn't
>believe my eyes yesterday evening when Newsroom Southeast (UK) carried
>an article on, of all things, cough medicine addiction.  It really
>hadn't occurred to me that it was abusable.  I'd heard of people on
>kaolin and morphine but not this.
>One chap interviewed said that at the height of his addiction he was
>travelling *600 miles a week* to vist numerous different pharmacists
>for his purchases, and there was a woman who at her best was clocking
>up 7 bottles a day.

7 Bottles of cough medicine a day! I would be hard pressed to swallow
seven spoons of that stuff (Brrrrrrrrrrrr). Just imagine the costs
involved: 600 miles a week driving (time and money) and the money to by
some 200 bottles of medicine a month. Wouldn't leave much of my salary!
Shows to what lengths drug addicts go to satisfy their urges. Opiates
definetly do not belong in non-prescription medicines.