Chemicon mGluR1a Abs/ Characterization

falvarez at desire.wright.edu falvarez at desire.wright.edu
Fri Oct 25 19:19:51 EST 1996

We have been using for the last year antibodies against mGluR1a commercialized
by Chemicon. We use them for light and electron microscopic
immunolocalization in normal and injured neural tissue. As with other abs
that we have previosusly purchased from Chemicon, I assumed that they were
fully characterized and that their production and specificity characteristics
have been published somewhere and where of public domain. However Chemicon's
reference list does not point to any paper about this antibody. I contacted
the company and they refuse to provide any information about this antibody.
Their excuse is that they don't want the originating lab to be bother with
phone calls from Chemicon customers. Hence, they cannot provide details of
their production, characterization, use .... My questions are:

-Does anybody has information about this antibody that can help me trace it
to a publication?
If that is not the case:
-Have possible cross-reactivities with mGluR5 been tested?
-Have they been use in whole brain or spinal cord Westerns?
-Where can I find this information?
Finnally
-Is this an acceptable behaviour from a supplier of scientific
reagents?

Francisco J. Alvarez, PhD
Assistant Professor
Anatomy