FS: Brainwave Entrainment System

Barry Bayliss b.a.bayliss at open.ac.uk
Tue Oct 29 08:20:22 EST 1996

Lee Kent Hempfling wrote:

> garwonko at msn.com (Dr. Gar Won Ko) enunciated:
>
> > The system achieves this in
> >a purely magnetic wave or
> >H-field with no E-field (electric wave) present. There is no other
> >apparatus like this in existence. This system is for sale ($72K).
> >garwonko at msn.com
> >

> Dr.
> Please explain the above and then we can address the price.

Even looking at the original message (below), I have some doubts as to
the
claims.

Dr Ko, please supply referrences to the claims on:
    - irritability with some human systems is 6.67 Hz
    - Zen or enlightenment is near 7.5 to 8.0 Hz
    - riotous behaviour at 11.35 Hz
    - that different emotions have different frequencies

The magnetic field generated by the brain is approximately 100 fT,
with the magnetic field of the earth being 1E(-4) T.  Thus if the system
measures the brains magnetic field, a very complex system is required
to discriminate between background signals, and that of the brain.
There
are currently systems around which do this, eg neuromag-122.  These
systems use a magnetically shielded room, and cost several million
pounds.

If the system uses an external magnetic field to force the brain into
a particular frequency, you run into several problems.  It is thought
that
the emotional centre of the brain is in the frontal lobe (if this
information
is out of date, please supply a referrence).  By forcing the whole brain
into
a particular frequency you would interfer with other neural processing,
which could produce undesired side effects.

The second major problem is that by applying an external magnetic field
to the brain, which is approximately the case with MRI, you do not
get the brain to operate a particular frequency, but make the polar
molecules
vibrate at the frequency applied.

Dr. Ko, if you have referrences which show the above does not apply,
could
you please send me a copy of the list.

Barry...