Doman method

Alan Fried albe at worldnet.att.net
Thu Oct 31 23:37:03 EST 1996

sblack at UBISHOPS.CA (Stephen Black) wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Oct 1996, Andreas Knobel wrote:

>> I have a friend with a severely handicapped CP child. He intends to try
>> the Doman method on the boy. He is currently gathering information, and
>> is
>> particularly interested in hearing about the experiences of families
>> and volunteers who have used this method, doctors' views, and so on.
>>
>> He would also like to hear about alternative training methods.
>>

>The Doman-Delacato ("patterning") treatment is quackery, extraordinarily
>expensive in both time and money. As long ago as 1982 the American Academy
>of Pediatrics issued a warning statement on this supposed "treatment".
>They concluded:

As a pediatric physical therapist, I agree 100% with this gentleman's
assessment. It is one of the most ludicrous methods I have ever
encountered.

I was once called upon a case where the child was undergoing this
method of treatment. People would come in at scheduled intervals to
work with the child on various phases of the developmental sequence.
There were also elaborate crawl tunnels set up. The parents actually
believed that the child had to go crawl before he could walk and would
not allow the child to walk until he fully mastered crawling.

When I began to do my usual ,therapeutic, neuro developmental exercise
treatment, the parents stopped me at which point I walked out. I
refused to get myself involved in this garbage.

Get your child enrolled in a good special education program and then
intergrate what teachers and therapists tell you  in the management of
your child at home.