basic question

Richard Hall hall at charon.ns.utk.edu
Mon Sep 30 11:56:32 EST 1996

Thanks for the helpful reply.  I don't really need references for the
answer you gave, but if you wanted to try to tell me that signals can
only flow in one direction, I would demand proof . . .

I've been mulling over some ideas that are based on signals being able
to flow in either direction, and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't
violating established knowledge before I go too far.

Here's a follow-up:
If synapses are, in fact, unidirectional, impulses moving in the
opposite direction can not proceed beyond the synapse, but would such an
impulse inhibit or disrupt the transmission of impulses moving in the
other direction.  That is, what happens when an antidromic signal
reaches a synapse?

Thanks,

Rikki Hall, aka Horace Veery

kenneth paul collins wrote:
 Is it actually possible to take any arbitrary segment of
> > neural fiber and determine the directionality of signals flowing along that
> > fiber?
>
> no

 or is it theoretically possible for impluses to flow in either
direction along