basic question

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Mon Sep 30 11:02:12 EST 1996

On 29 Sep 1996, Stephen Black wrote:

> As for the remainder of this question, axons are inherently bidirectional.
> If a nerve impulse is generated by electrical stimulation in the middle of
> an axon, the nerve impulse will move simultaneously in opposite
> directions--orthodromic (the normal direction) and
> antidromic--"backwards". The orthodromic impulse will arrive at the
> synapse, cause neurotransmitter release, and if circumstances are otherwise
> favourable, generate an action potential on the postsynaptic neuron,
> and keep going. However, the backwards antidromic impulse will die out
> when it reaches the synapse, because the nervous system has no means of
> crossing the synapse in the reverse direction. Neurophysiologists can use
> antidromic stimulation as a means of determining whether there is a
> synapse in a neural pathway.  In sum, conduction in the nervous system is
> unidirectional, but because of the properties of the synapse, not the axon.
Oscillons are formed when you viberate a grandular material with two or
more frequencies.  One oscillon structure resembles a gaussian mountain.
It oscillated into a gaussian hole, then into a gaussian mountain.

Oscillons can form in ANY oscillating system. Oscillons of opposite
symetry are attracted to each other and form oscillon pairs of reverse
polarity.  Oscillons of similar charge and harmonic repell each other.

Since the backward propagation wave reduces the uptake of neurotranmitters
at the synapses it should result in reducing the oscillations of the
sender via long term potentiation.  In a way this is like an effort
to maintain a constant voltage oscillon for a nerve fiber in a very
narron gaussian oscillon range.

Ron Blue

Nature 29 August 1996 - oscillons
sorry I do not have the name of the article with me.