Male Brains slightly larger than Female Brains [but not proportionately]

Howard Olson holson at california.com
Sun Aug 3 20:17:44 EST 1997

James Howard <jmhoward at sprynet.com> wrote:

>"Male Brains slightly larger than Female Brains"
>James Howard

>The recent finding that, on average, male brains are slightly larger
>than female brains, adds support to my theory of human evolution.  Below
>this is my post, "The Flynn Effect  …yes, testosterone," which explains
>how testosterone increases brain size (posted November 11, 1996).  In
>it, you will find my explanatin of the Flynn Effect.   The Flynn Effect
>should produce male brains that are larger, on average, than female
>brains.

>The Flynn Effect   ...yes, testosterone

>explained how I think rising testosterone causes the secular trend and
>is
>affecting a number of phenomena in the U.S., I received this response:
>"But IQ scores are rising with the secular trend!"  The author of this
>comment intended to show that this, real connection between IQ scores
>and the secular trend, refutes my theory.  This increase in IQ is called
>the "Flynn Effect."  The Flynn Effect refers to an increase in IQ that
>occurs along with the secular trend.  However, the Flynn Effect is
>mainly
>an increase in "non-verbal tests."  The overall effect is primarily due
>increases in the lower half of the IQ distribution, but it also occurs
>in the
>"gifted," or those who score 1400 or more on the SAT.  The Flynn Effect
>is a worldwide phenomon.  (It occurs in all socioeconomic groups.)

>I suggest the Flynn Effect is due to rising testosterone.  The effect is
>small; perhaps 15 points in two generations.  In my last post, "Hominid
>Brain Size: Testosterone, DHEA, and Melatonin," I suggested that two
>kinds of increases in hominid brain size have occurred.  One, that
>causes only slight increases in brain size, I attribute to increasing
>testosterone in hominids.  This is the small increase noticeable in the
>early hominids.  This is the increase I think is due mainly to the
>increases in testosterone that started separateing us from the other
>primates.  The main increase in hominid brain size, I suggest, is due to
>the effects of the hormones, DHEA and melatonin.  The effects of these
>two hormones, according to my theory, have to occur away from the
>equator, and this is where the fossil evidence, north and south, shows
>the main increases in brain size.  The increase in testosterone will
>cycle
>through hominids, i.e., testosterone will periodically rise in humans.
>It
>will produce some dramatic effects, but one, I suggest, is a slight
>increase in nonverbal abilities of the brain that will cause slight
>increases
>in overall IQ scores.  To explain this, I am including part of my post,
>"Math and English," that was posted June 13.  This was generated in
>response to findings that "reading proficiency is down in virtually 40
> [...]

	First of all, the brains of men and women are comparable when you
consider the  body size to brain size ratio. This is a well known fact
of paleoneurology. Secondly, testosterone is Not the only anabolic
steroid in the human body and there may well be an analogous effect
from another steroid or even a peptide (such as GH ) in the female.

	BTW, are you aware that testosterone is metabolized to estrogen BEFORE
it reaches the nuclei of target cells? Surely that throws a monkey
wrench into the simple reductionist model you propose for male
superiority.

			Howard