A question regarding neurotransmitters

CTurner195 cturner195 at aol.com
Mon Aug 4 03:11:21 EST 1997

To all interested parties;

     I am currently investigating an odd set of health problems which I
have had for the past two and a half years. One of these problems is the
constant contraction of all the skeletal, voluntary muscles in my body.
Any attempt to relax them is unsuccessful and usually causes an almost
convulsive "re-contraction." If I attempt to lie down in bed and relax my
head, neck, and shoulders, I will experience an instant of a strange
almost itch-like sensation and then all of the muscles in question will
sieze up, my head will jerk to the side and I will tremble as if I were
experiencing a chill.
     Several questions on this topic:
     1. Is there one particular neurotransmitter which governs the
contraction and/or relaxation of the voluntary muscles? If so, which one
is it?
     2. In a popular novel I read recently, one of the characters said
that a certain neurotransmitter causes you to move an arm, leg, etc. and
another neurotransmitter causes you to stop moving that arm, leg, etc.
According to this character, if it were not for this second
neurotransmitter, you'd start scratching your nose and then you would be
unable to stop. Is this an accurate statement? If so, what is the name of
this second neurotransmitter?
     3. Are there any books or other written material on the subject of
neurotransmitters and / or the nervous system which you would recommend
that I read in order to have a basic understanding of these processes?
Something on the level of an introductory college textbook would probably
be sufficiently detailed and specific while still being simple enough for
me to comprehend.

    If you would like more information, are able to answer any of the
questions I have posed, or would simply like to comment on some of the
above, please e-mail me. Any response will be appreciated. Thank you.