Male Brains slightly larger than Female Brains [but not proportionately]

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 07:37:18 EST 1997

Mark James (mrj at cs.usyd.edu.au) wrote:
: Howard Olson wrote:

: > First of all, the brains of men and women are comparable when you
: > consider the  body size to brain size ratio. This is a well known fact
: > of paleoneurology.

: Steve Barnard wrote:

: > It's also recently been determined that men's brains have more neurons
: > that womens's -- something like four billion more, give or take a few.
: >
: > So what?

: I'm not sure that the recent research showed the men have more
: neurons than women; simply that men have more brain cells than
: women, which may just mean more glial cells (padding? ;-)).
: [Could someone provide a reference for the article in question.]

: In my opinion the cognitive consequences of men having more
: neurons than women would be an increased memory capacity rather
: than any increased processing abilities.  For example, elephants
: have enormous brains, giving them a high storage capacity, yet
: they lack the neural architecture (pattern of cortical areas)
: that would support sophisticated use of language, or development
: of a complex personality.

: I don't think the greater size of men's brains can be explained
: by the need for more/larger motor and somatosensory neurons to
: compensate for the greater body size. What is the current
: paleoneurological theory for the size of brains: consuming no
: more than a given proportion of the body's energy?

: In any case, things like the corpus callosum and the language
: areas in the superior temporal lobe have been shown to be
: larger in women (on average of course).

: --
: Mark James                                  |EMAIL : mrj at cs.usyd.edu.au|
: Basser Department of Computer Science, F09  |PHONE : +61-2-351-3423    |
: The University of Sydney NSW 2006 AUSTRALIA |FAX   : +61-2-351-3838    |

Yes, but elepahant has tiny brains, so does a blue whale and so does
prehistoric humans and dinsosaures. Neurons has a role and that is the
capaicity to memorise and and men  biologically have more of it, having
said that men at old age tends to loose their brain cells more rapidly than
elderly women so nature provided men with more brain cells so that we
can afford to loose a lot more when we get old.

	Wah