[Pigdog] DNA extraction from brain tissue (fwd)

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Tue Aug 12 00:13:38 EST 1997

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 19:55:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Trevor Johnson <trevor at jpj.net>
To: pigdog-l at arlington.com
Cc: "bionet.neuroscience mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: [Pigdog] DNA extraction from brain tissue

> On Mon, 11 Aug 1997, Jennifer L. Protzman wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 10:58:34 -0400
> > From: "Jennifer L. Protzman" <jprotzma at umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
> > To: "bionet.neuroscience mail newsgroup" <bionet-news at dl.ac.uk>
> > Subject: [Pigdog] DNA extraction from brain tissue
> >
> > I'm trying to find a protocol which wil isolate DNA from brain tissue.
> > Because of the fatty nature of the tissue, I'm having a very difficult
> > time getting high quality DNA and I have many samples to analyze.  Most of
> > the protocols I have looked at are for "Tissue" and are not particularly
> > good for my application.  Any information is greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Jennifer

Maybe you could just use more surfactant than the cookbook calls for, to
compensate for the high lipid content. If you don't feel like
experimenting, there are procedures on the Web at
http://lena.jax.org/~jcs/techniques/protocols/brain.html and at
http://www.ambion.com/technotes/3.3/IsolatingIntact.html --good luck!
___
Trevor Johnson