Brain Structure & Mirror Handwriting?

Christopher Hatton (de) "Hatton" at ifn-magdeburg.GERMANY
Thu Aug 14 13:02:43 EST 1997

Diane Pritchatt wrote:

> In article <mmmcEEvzAI.2A7 at netcom.com>, mmmc at netcom.com writes
> >       I don't have a degree or anything, so I don't know a whole lot.
> >       Has there ever been any research on people who can do mirror
> >handwriting?  (Handwriting that you have to hold up to a mirror to read.)
> >With specific reference to how their brain is structured?
> >       I've been told that someone who can mirror handwrite isn't as
> >"differentiated" (correct term?) between left and right hemispheres, that
> >brain functions are more evenly spread out.
> >       If someone could point me to specific articles, books, internet
> >resources, etc. on this subject, it would be much appreciated.
> >       I'll come back to this newsgroup to look for replies.  But
> >replies by email would also be appreciated.
> >       Thank you.
> >
> >Margaret
> >Seattle, WA
> >
> I am interested in this news thread.  When I was 6 years old, I read a
> little comic for young children.  It showed writing in mirror image and
> told you to hold a mirror to it, to read it.
>
> I decided to try it myself.  So next time we were doing handwriting in
> school, I started mirror imaging my writing.

This sound a lot familiar, my sister at the age did the same a lot.
infact for about 2 month it was all she could do.

  The teacher had all sorts
> of problems with me!!!  She thought something had gone wrong somewhere,
> and told my Mum and Dad.  I find it really hilarious now.  My mum still
> tells me about it every now and then.

Strange, my mum also although my sister has lost the ability to do
anymore

> Personally (and of course I am biassed), I think it showed I had quite a
> lot of intelligence at the age of 6 - my classmates couldn't even write
> forwards, let alone backwards!!!

My sister was always brighter than me, until about 14, she learnt fast
and well
better than me and came top of her French and German classes.

> Having worked in education before my present job, I think it showed some
> of the following skills were highly developed at that age:
>
> - Spatial awareness and orientation
> - Language skills
> - Independent thinking and experimentation
>
> I wonder whether anyone else can shed light on this subject?

My sister is many things but not a thinker, in fact she left school at
16, with no prpoer qualification whilst me, her thick brother, went to
college, then University (got a 1st Class honours BSc) and now doing a
PhD.  Something went wrong.

> I grew up with an avid interest in reading and writing, and have now
> been published as a poet, and am working simultaneously on two books,
> one an historical novel, and one, a series of short mystery/murder
> stories.  I was always very good at spelling, grammar and comprehension,
> and got the school prize for English at the age of 12.  I am a librarian
> by trade.  I wonder whether all this has to do with the ability to write
> morror writing??!!

My sister is very good at writing childrens and telling stories, infact
without being cruel cos' she admits it, it her only main intellectual
output.  The language skills is an interesting angle though.

I can't mirror write normal writing is bad enough, but have knowledge of
French, English, Russian, German and Malay and pick up languages
easierly and my sister is only other one in our family can even attempt
other languages, I have very good spatial awareness, whilst sister has
poor unless very close.
I was also intersted in the same ages, is this typical for youngsters
and girls in particular as my girlfriends niece can also.

> Diane Pritchatt

Christopher Hatton