Male Brains slightly larger than Female Brains [but not proportionately]

James Howard jmhoward at sprynet.com
Mon Aug 18 05:09:57 EST 1997

On Sun, 17 Aug 1997, James Howard wrote:

> :I started this thread as an example of the effects of testosterone on
> :human brain evolution.
> R. McPherson wrote:
-interesting report on body - brain size in male and female humans; this
is the last sentence:

> I would ask how body size was determined.  If males have a larger
> somatic body surface, then perhaps more neurons will be required to
> simply represent more body skin surface (or muscles etc...).  If this
> were true, then more neurons would certainly be expected and would not
> betray any particular propensity for increased cognitive capacity.

James Howard responds:
I had not anticipated the reaction to my original posting, that is, that
 this mainly stimulated an interest in people considering whether males
have "increased cognitive capacity" over that of females.  Again, my
interest in starting this was my theory of evolution, and how the 16%
increase in neurons in males compared to females is an example of the
connection of increased testosterone with brain size.