Male Brains slightly larger than Female Brains [but not proportionately]

Mr. W.Y. Chan wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk
Wed Aug 20 08:29:43 EST 1997

joker (circus at world.com) wrote:
: The Corinthian wrote:
: >
: > Mr. W.Y. Chan <wahchan at liverpool.ac.uk> wrote in article
: > <EEr1q6.1GC at liverpool.ac.uk>...
: > > Mark James (mrj at cs.usyd.edu.au) wrote:
: > > : Howard Olson wrote:
: > >
: > > : > First of all, the brains of men and women are comparable when you
: > > : > consider the  body size to brain size ratio. This is a well known
: > fact
: > > : > of paleoneurology.
: > >
: > > : Steve Barnard wrote:
: > >
: > > : > It's also recently been determined that men's brains have more
: > neurons
: > > : > that womens's -- something like four billion more, give or take a
: > few.
: > > : >
: > > : > So what?
: > >
: > > : I'm not sure that the recent research showed the men have more
: > > : neurons than women; simply that men have more brain cells than
: > > : women, which may just mean more glial cells (padding? ;-)).
: > > : [Could someone provide a reference for the article in question.]
: > >
: > > : In my opinion the cognitive consequences of men having more
: > > : neurons than women would be an increased memory capacity rather
: > > : than any increased processing abilities.  For example, elephants
: > > : have enormous brains, giving them a high storage capacity, yet
: > > : they lack the neural architecture (pattern of cortical areas)
: > > : that would support sophisticated use of language, or development
: > > : of a complex personality.
: > >
: > > : I don't think the greater size of men's brains can be explained
: > > : by the need for more/larger motor and somatosensory neurons to
: > > : compensate for the greater body size. What is the current
: > > : paleoneurological theory for the size of brains: consuming no
: > > : more than a given proportion of the body's energy?
: > >
: > > : In any case, things like the corpus callosum and the language
: > > : areas in the superior temporal lobe have been shown to be
: > > : larger in women (on average of course).
: > >
: > > : --
: > > : Mark James                                  |EMAIL :
: > mrj at cs.usyd.edu.au|
: > > : Basser Department of Computer Science, F09  |PHONE : +61-2-351-3423
: > |
: > > : The University of Sydney NSW 2006 AUSTRALIA |FAX   : +61-2-351-3838
: > |
: > > : ================- WEB: http://www.cs.usyd.edu.au/~mrj
: > -=================
: > >
: > >
: > > Yes, but elepahant has tiny brains, so does a blue whale and so does
: > > prehistoric humans and dinsosaures. Neurons has a role and that is the
: > > capaicity to memorise and and men  biologically have more of it, having
: > > said that men at old age tends to loose their brain cells more rapidly
: > than
: > > elderly women so nature provided men with more brain cells so that we
: > > can afford to loose a lot more when we get old.
: > >
: > >
: > >       Wah
: > >
: > >
: > It isnt the size of your brain, its what you do with it.

: No wonder your brain is like your penis - puny.

Funny why it is always the one with small tally wackers who says this, maybe
they have to make more more of an effort to compensate for the short commings...:)