Automatic and Controlled cognitive processing

Barry Manor, presumably b.manor at unsw.edu.au
Tue Dec 2 00:51:25 EST 1997

Hello (this is a re-post, my first attempt disappeared for some reason),

I am looking for opinions on biological concomitants of automatic and
controlled processes (psychological constructs as suggested by Schneider
&
Shiffrin, 1977).

It seems that the orienting response, mismatch negativity and P300a,
among
others, have all been linked with AUTOMATIC processing in the
literature.
N200 and P300 ERP components have been associated with CONTROLLED
processing.
Any comments on this?

In our lab (in Sydney, Australia) we have an integrated system which
allows us
to record 32-channel EEG, eye movements, pupil area, galvanic skin
response and cardiac and respiratory rhythms concurrently.

Having collected a reasonable amount of data in a schizophrenia study, I
am
now trying to come to grips with the (tenuous!) link between automatic
and
controlled processing, working memory (e.g. Park & Holzman 1992) and
short-term visual memory (e.g. Raymond Knight et al., 1985).  I am
trying to
link these concepts in with popular theories on hemispheric dysfunction
in
schizophrenia and associated hemineglect (e.g. Michael Posner and
Terrence
Early).

If anyone has expertise in this area or would like to discuss these
issues
further, please contact me via email or post to this newsgroup.

Thanks,

        -Barry.

--
Barry Manor Physiologist Cognitive Neuroscientist Biomedical Engineer.
            PhD Student in Medicine @ University of Sydney, Australia.