What happens during fever?

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Sat Feb 1 20:59:31 EST 1997

On Sun, 2 Feb 1997, Shelly Bower wrote:

> First let me say I know nothing of the mechanics of this, however I'm
> a member of another newsgroup for the parents/caregivers of autistic
> children and often it is commented upon that when some children with
> autism get sick,  the parents report more speech, better cognitive
> function and decreased undesirable behavior like stimming....
> Interesting,  that fevers would have the opposite effect on these
> children.  Anyway, if you'd like to post on that newsgroup
> (bit.listserv.autism) there are people there that might have further
> insight.
>
> Shelly

Interesting report.  I was of the opinion that Autism was related
to natural pain killers in a run away mode.  So a fever should
increase pain and reduce the effect on behavior.  It might explain
head banging and biting as self treatment.

Naxolene (????) I believe should reduce the effect.  Does
anyone know of any research?

Ron Blue