New Scientist Piece Reviewed:Limit to Brain Size

Mark Friesel mfriesel at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 2 21:30:14 EST 1997

> Claudo de Contrecoeur* wrote:
> >
> > >From New Scientist:         My comments are not indented.
> > >
> > >              [P L A N E T   S C I E N C E]
> > >
> > >         End of the road for brain evolution
> >
> > This is quite interesting reading as I often wondered what is the
> > ultimate size a brain could reach and still work properly.

MF:

About the size of a walnut.  I have a theory that ultimate brain size
was reached in the golden lion monkey, and that man has greatly exceeded
this size, to his detriment.  We can't stop the workings of this
oversized brain long enough to properly evaluate and observe the effects
of its doings on ourselves, but instead just keep churning out waste
thoughts just like some poor soul with Montezuma's revenge keeps
churning out other waste.  Think, for example (oh, my GODDDDD!  I can't
stop! AHHHhhhhhhhh!) how much of our internet babbling has any use
whatsoever, or shows any insight at all.  Pardon me while I go eat some
flowers and contemplate the cosmic wheel.  Maybe my brain will shrink
back to a useful size.

Mark Friesel