photoinactivation

Dr. M. Ferber Ferber at zoology.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Feb 6 04:52:39 EST 1997

In article <v01540b0eaf1e924bb9d4@[146.226.4.215]>, rhall at uvi.edu (Richard Hall) wrote:
>What is the current status on methods for using photoinactivation for
>killing neurons?  The only system I am familiar with is the Pleom
>Illuminator which costs an arm and a leg and maybe another arm-over $5K.
>
>Surely there are less expensive yet reliable methods and hardware to kill a
>cell or two.  Any suggestions?

Have a look at:
Büschges A. , Koch U. T. , and Breutel G. , A simple low-cost illumination
system for in vivo fluorescent visualization of neurones.. J. Exp. Biol., 141:
461-464, 1989

I know from personal communication with A. Büschges and with D. Baessler who
used this device for killing common inhibitor neurones in insects that it is
suitable for the photoinactivation of neurones.

Hope this helps
Michael