Fever and ADHD (attention deficit hyperactivity disorder)

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Wed Feb 5 22:09:55 EST 1997

In <5d3s09$bv0 at dfw-ixnews4.ix.netcom.com> flefever at ix.netcom.com(F.
Frank LeFever) writes:

>re Neal Prakash's commentary: my reply to the original query (reply is
>header #16908, at least via my server) discussed the IL-1 angle. In
>addition to Linda Watkins re vagus, check out Robert Dantzer re
>exploratory behavior, operant behavior, etc.
>
>In my earlier comment, I speculated re IL-1 effect on Ne
>(noradrenaline), the target most prominent in theories of ritalin
>(etc.) action in ADD (although dopamine should not be ignored).  I
did,
>indeed find a very good review of IL-1 effects on classsical
>neurotransmitters, including increasing Ne activity--but left it at
>work!  will try to bring it home tomorrow.  Believe it was in
>Neuroimmunology, 1996 or possibly 1995.
>
>Frank LeFever
>New York Neuropsychology Group

(UPDATE Feb. 5)  As promised, here is the reference:

Dunn, AJ & Wang, J. Cytokine effects on CNS biogenic amines.
  Neuroimmunomodulation, 1995, vol.2, 319-328.

Their discussion focused on the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenocortical
axis and the possible relevance of IL-1-induced noradrenaline activity
to activation of the HPA axis, but they also cite a study reporting
increased prefrontal cortical dopamine activity, which would make sense
in terms of the "frontal/intentional" sort of interpretation of ADD I
have alluded to previously.

That study is:

Zalcman S, Green-Johnson JM, Murray L et al. (incl. H. Anisman)
  Cytokine-specific central monoamine alterations induced by
  interleukin-1, -2, and -6.  Brain Research 1994, 643, 40-49.

Thus, there is a plausible rationale for such an effect.
NOW, the remaining question is: how much evidence is there that this
phenomenon (reduced ADD symptoms during fever) exists?