Potency of Arginine Pyroglutamate

Michael Michalchik michael at tgac.com
Fri Feb 7 14:23:37 EST 1997

Hi All,

I have seen some liturature to the effect that pyroglutamic acid has
nootropic activity but that its potency is even lower than that of
piracetam. Since derivatives of the 2-pyrrolidinone nucleus that has
larger n-substituted side chains (such as aniracetam and pramiracetam)
seem to have significantly higher specific activities than the short
glycine-amide chain of piracetam. I was wondering if the roughly
analogous change to the pyroglutamate nucleus sych as the addition of
the arginine molecule (vaguely remeniscent of the moiety present in
pramiracetam) has a similar effect on the potency of pyroglutamate.

ie.

How powerful is arginine pyroglutamate compared to pyroglutamate in
terms of nootropic activity?

This also begs a couple of questions.

1) Has anybody ever tested the glycine amide derivative of
pyroglutamate.

2) Does anybody know of a thourough review of the structure potentency
relationship of the 2-pyrrolidinone related nootropics.

Michael Michalchik

michael at tgac.com