Does Olanzapine act on Cannabinoid Receptors?

Claude Claude
Wed Feb 5 02:17:18 EST 1997

Does Olanzapine act on Cannabinoid Receptors?

Many years ago I theorised 2 unusual things:

1.That MDMA(3,4 methylenedioxymethamphetamine)might,possibly,decrease
paranoia.

2.That cannabinoid receptors should be involved in schizophrenia.

By an interesting coincidence I received a report from a schizophrenic
patient first treated with clozapine then treated with olanzapine(he
was unresponsive to risperidone)who stated that:

A.MDMA suppresses his paranoia completely,as opposed to olanzapine.
B.He is not responsive to the effects of cannabis sativa.

Here is what he writes concerning cannabis sativa effects :

 "You say in your page that you think that schizophrenia may be
linked to cannaboid receptors.  The cannaboid receptors could possibly
be
defective.  Well, guess what?  Cannabis does nothing for me.
Absolutely
nothing, I don't get high, I don't get low, I don't get paranoid, I
don't
get anything.  So it could be that because I have schizophrenia that
my
cannaboid receptors don't respond to cannabis."

This description is quite remarkable and intriguing because
schizophrenics treated with typical neuroleptics can still feel the
effects of cannabis sativa.
I knew of one chronic schizophrenic who was exquitely sensitive to
cannabis sativa despite massive conventionnal therapy.