OHI vs Traumatic Brain Injury -- it does matter

Michael Zaborowski zaborowski.3 at osu.edu
Sun Feb 9 16:52:24 EST 1997

In article <01bc169e$1c7f9b60$e8fb3b94 at dns.msen.com.148.59.6.22> "Bent Willow" <lambs at home.msen.com> writes:
>From: "Bent Willow" <lambs at home.msen.com>
>Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
>Subject: Re: Anoxic Insult is not a Traumatic Brain Injury -- HELP
>Date: 9 Feb 1997 15:24:52 GMT

>lambs at home.msen.com

>Michael Z wrote:
>> The state of Ohio has a SpEd category of TBI. Yet we are being told an
>anoxic
>> brain injury is not a traumatic brain injury. Our Nuero and physicians
>cannot
>> believe anoxia is being excluded; same range of potential symptoms, and
>same
>> range of rehab concepts.

>Your daughter qualifies for SpEd under a variety of disability areas,
>specifically Learning Disabled (LD) and Physically or Otherwise Health
>Impaired (POHI).

>It shouldn't make any difference that she cannot be certified TBI.  Get her
>into the system, then construct the IEP (individual educational plan)  to
>address her needs.  My suggestion is that she be certified POHI, something

IT DOES MATTER

We are both special education teachers. By being TBI, she can move to the
program that best meets her needs as they change, which is common in TBI
victims. Furthermore, she is completely health recovered, including her heart.
Why should she then be considered health impaired. All of the symptoms under
TBI are those Chris has; memory, learning difficulties, motor planning
problems etc.  If not TBI, whenever she needs a different program she will
require a new evaluation. More importantly, this damn brain injury is what
altered a normal life. Does she not at the least have the right to have it
recognized?? She currently is in a MH program, after having been in an OH
classroom.

Mike