Anoxic Insult is not a Traumatic Brain Injury -- HELP

Bent Willow lambs at home.msen.com
Sun Feb 9 10:24:52 EST 1997

lambs at home.msen.com

Michael Z wrote:
> The state of Ohio has a SpEd category of TBI. Yet we are being told an
anoxic
> brain injury is not a traumatic brain injury. Our Nuero and physicians
cannot
> believe anoxia is being excluded; same range of potential symptoms, and
same
> range of rehab concepts.

Your daughter qualifies for SpEd under a variety of disability areas,
specifically Learning Disabled (LD) and Physically or Otherwise Health
Impaired (POHI).

It shouldn't make any difference that she cannot be certified TBI.  Get her
into the system, then construct the IEP (individual educational plan)  to
address her needs.  My suggestion is that she be certified POHI, something
that the  Spec. Ed. system cannot deny since her disability is the direct
result of an acute disease which has left her with residual effects.

Please contact me if I can be of further assistance.
-------
Mary Ann