More Co2 = less brains?

Ralph Leonhardt leo at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Feb 10 05:05:51 EST 1997

Hi,

what you are describing is the typical drowsiness that overcomes people in
overcrowded lecture-halls. Due to high CO2 concentrations gas exchange
in the lung gets inhibited and the brain cannot get enough oxygen to
function fully. But as far as I know the critical parameter is CO2
concentration, since it binds tighter to the hemoglobin in the blood than
O2 and with higher external CO2 it does not dissociate as readily as it
does normally. For further information se any physiology textbook.

All the best, Leo

Ralph Leonhardt
Inst. f. Neuroinformatik, Geb. ND 04/297
Ruhr-Universitaet-Bochum			       I believe in the
D-44780 Bochum, Germany				fundamental interconnectedness
							of all things
Tel.:	+49 (0)234 700 5559
Fax:	+49 (0)234 709 4209				-Svlad Cjelli-
E-mail: leo at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de