OHI vs Traumatic Brain Injury -- it does matter

Leslie E. Packer, PhD lpacker at pipeline.com
Mon Feb 10 12:44:12 EST 1997

zaborowski.3 at osu.edu (Michael Zaborowski) wrote:

>In article <01bc169e$1c7f9b60$e8fb3b94 at dns.msen.com.148.59.6.22> "Bent Willow" <lambs at home.msen.com> writes:
>>From: "Bent Willow" <lambs at home.msen.com>
>>Newsgroups: bionet.neuroscience
>>Subject: Re: Anoxic Insult is not a Traumatic Brain Injury -- HELP
>>Date: 9 Feb 1997 15:24:52 GMT
>

>>lambs at home.msen.com
>
>>Michael Z wrote:
>>> The state of Ohio has a SpEd category of TBI. Yet we are being told an
>>anoxic
>>> brain injury is not a traumatic brain injury. Our Nuero and physicians
>>cannot
>>> believe anoxia is being excluded; same range of potential symptoms, and
>>same
>>> range of rehab concepts.
>

>>Your daughter qualifies for SpEd under a variety of disability areas,
>>specifically Learning Disabled (LD) and Physically or Otherwise Health
>>Impaired (POHI).
>
>>It shouldn't make any difference that she cannot be certified TBI.  Get her
>>into the system, then construct the IEP (individual educational plan)  to
>>address her needs.  My suggestion is that she be certified POHI, something
>
>IT DOES MATTER

Actually, you're both right <s>.

As background, I do a lot of  pro bono special education advocacy work
for children with disabilities.

To a certain extent, it doesn't matter _what_ classification is
assigned as long as the child is classified, because once they are
classified, the IEP determines the services.  And the child has to be
evaluated every year for that, with the comprehensive re-eval every
three years.

OHI is a category that can cover a lot of ground.  I happen to like
using it because it suggests that the child is not going to be
declassified within any time soon.  It also is more health-related
than classifications like LD.

>We are both special education teachers. By being TBI, she can move to the
>program that best meets her needs as they change, which is common in TBI
>victims.

She can do that anyway, _regardless_ of her classification, although
there is something reassuring about having the district actually seem
to recognize and understand the child's problems by classifying her in
the way the parents think she should be classified.  If they can see
what you see in terms of her needs, then it will make the annual evals
and program development that much smoother and pleasanter.  If they
can't understand her problems, then you're in for a rockier ride ---
BUT just forcing them to put the TBI classification on her (even if
it's the best one) doesn't give them wisdom or understanding.

> Furthermore, she is completely health recovered, including her heart.
>Why should she then be considered health impaired. All of the symptoms under
>TBI are those Chris has; memory, learning difficulties, motor planning
>problems etc.

So when it comes time for placement, that would be an appropriate
educational program (if they have a specific TBI program that is
appropriate for her level of functioning).  Does it matter, then,
whether they call her TBI or OHI as long as they put her in the right
program and give her the right services?

>If not TBI, whenever she needs a different program she will
>require a new evaluation.

Any significant change in program requires an evaluation regardless of
classification.  Minor changes or 'fine tuning' do not require an
evaluation.

>More importantly, this damn brain injury is what
>altered a normal life. Does she not at the least have the right to have it
>recognized?? She currently is in a MH program, after having been in an OH
>classroom.

Mike, I used to spend a lot of time fighting the
labels/classifications.  In some cases, it does make a difference --
like taking a kid with a neuro problem and placing them in a class
with emotionally disturbed kids because you don't understand the neuro
basis for their behaviors/symptoms.

But sometimes it doesn't make a difference.  Ask yourselves and them
whether you are all in agreement about what she needs (regardless of
what you call it).  If you're not, educate them to understand her
educational  needs.  Eventually, they'll catch on and they'll probably
agree with you about the classification.

But I'd suggest you not spend all your time fighting the label --
fight for the program.

Best of luck to you and your child.

>Mike

Leslie
---
"In Vegas, I got into a long argument with the man at the
roulette wheel over what I considered to be an odd number."
   -- Steven Wright