MDMA suppression of paranoia in an olanzapine treated patient

Claude de Contrecoeur* cyrano at beehive.twics.com
Thu Feb 6 07:12:24 EST 1997

Letter of a schizophrenic   patient treated with clozapine then
olanzapine for paranoia

 I was diagnosed with schizophrenia at a
somewhat early age, which is considered worse than if it develops at a
later
age.  In attempt to treat this disease,  I have been prescribed just
about
every psychotropic drug imaginable and none of them even compared to
the
effects that MDMA has had on me.  MDMA has allowed me to see my
disorder in
a whole new light.  I went from being an asocial, withdrawn, and
somewhat
paranoid zombie to a sensitive human being who experiences love and
every
other human emotion.  I had never really felt much love in my life
until I
had experienced MDMA, and I am convinced that I would have committed
suicide
by now if not for it.  I am being very serious here, I would most
likely be
dead without MDMA.  You see without love a human being just withers
away and
dies, sometimes slowly and sometimes abruptly by suicide.  Without
love you
simply are not human, you are not truly alive.  You can live for a
long time
without love, but in the end you will die before your time.  This is
what
many schizophrenics do everyday- they live without love.  As a result,
an
alarming large number of people with this most tragic disease take
their own
life.  I myself have considered suicide as an option, but not once
have I
considered it even remotely since I discovered MDMA.

		For me, MDMA is not simply a party drug (although, I
did use it at
parties), it was much more than that.  MDMA is the most effective
medicine
that I have found to date in treating my schizophrenia.   It is not a
cure,
and it is not conventional medicine.  By conventional medicine I mean
a drug
which directly treats the symptoms.  No, MDMA has worked for me in a
different, but very equally important manner.  MDMA has helped me to
live
with having schizophrenia.  You see the medication that is currently
given
for schizophrenia helps to limit the symptoms (and it does so in some
cases
more than others), but you are left on your own to deal with whatever
symptoms that may remain.  MDMA helps to bridge that gap, it helps you
live with whatever symptoms you may have that the medication doesn't
help
with.  I still live with paranoid symptoms everyday, but I am now okay
with
that.  I accept myself for who I am, I can live with being
schizophrenic.
It was MDMA that helped me come to these terms.  I would like to point
out
that I came this realization with just myself and MDMA, I had no
therapist
to guide me in this area.   Sure, I've had lots of therapy, but none
of it
really compares to what MDMA and myself have taught me.  One can only
imagine how much better MDMA therapy would be for me if I had an
experienced
therapist to guide me.  Anyways, I continue to use MDMA, and I will
continue
to use it in limited amounts until something better, or a cure for
schizophrenia comes along.  I do want to make it clear that MDMA is in
no
way a substitution for the proper medication in dealing with
schizophrenia.
Medication remains essential in keeping this disease in check.  MDMA
is
simply another kind of medication that should be used (infrequently)
supplement the more traditional medications.

   (4 Février 1997)

Note:If you want to be put in contact with this person please e-mail
me and I will forward your letter.