More Co2 = less brains?

Ron Blue rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU
Wed Feb 12 14:55:02 EST 1997

On 12 Feb 1997, Ricardo Segurado wrote:
> rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) writes:
>
> >As CO2 levels increase in the ocean the bones of animals will be desolved
> >away.  250 million years ago the CO2 level were very high in the ocean and
> >was associated with a large die out of 98%.  I was wondering if bones
> >came from a build up of calcium deposits in muscles to over come the
> >high CO2.  The bones are modified muscle tissue.  When the CO2 droped
> >the bones formed for the first time internally.
>
> >Ron Blue
>
>   That's a MAD theory =). Wow.
>   It's a pity even multicellular organisms were pretty
>  rare about the time the CO2 levels dropped. Still...
>  we *could* try to make the facts fit the theory if
>  we make up some more mad stuff to explain everything
>  else.
>   (Brains could have evolved as a cushioning pad to
>  prevent damage when you are dropped on your head...
>  which as everyone knows is not good for you at all.
>  And this is the reason humans (who walk upright and
>  have a long way to fall) have such big brains)
Well here are some fact you should consider.  CO2 when dissolve in
water creates an acid.  Calcium when exposed to water forms Calcium
hydroxide.   The acid and calcium interact and create Calcium carbonate
which falls to the bottom of the ocean.  Therefore LOW levels of
calcium would be available for normal functions.  So selective pressure
would be to find a way to overcome this.  So what little Calcium was
available could be stored in muscles say as calcium phosphate.

When events changed this would create problems and opportunities.

Mad theories provide opportunities to see relationships not
expected.  Mad theories are not necessarily wrong.  They can be
seeds to new understandings.

Ron Blue