More Co2 = less brains?

Ricardo Segurado red at maths.tcd.ie
Wed Feb 12 14:04:38 EST 1997

rcb1 at LEX.LCCC.EDU (Ron Blue) writes:

>As CO2 levels increase in the ocean the bones of animals will be desolved
>away.  250 million years ago the CO2 level were very high in the ocean and
>was associated with a large die out of 98%.  I was wondering if bones
>came from a build up of calcium deposits in muscles to over come the
>high CO2.  The bones are modified muscle tissue.  When the CO2 droped
>the bones formed for the first time internally.

>Ron Blue

  That's a MAD theory =). Wow.
  It's a pity even multicellular organisms were pretty
 rare about the time the CO2 levels dropped. Still...
 we *could* try to make the facts fit the theory if
 we make up some more mad stuff to explain everything
 else.
  (Brains could have evolved as a cushioning pad to
 prevent damage when you are dropped on your head...
 which as everyone knows is not good for you at all.
 And this is the reason humans (who walk upright and
 have a long way to fall) have such big brains)
 "And I know I was wrong when I said it was
true that it could have been me or been her
inbetween without you."