exogenous, intracerebral, intraventricular etc.

F. Frank LeFever flefever at ix.netcom.com
Thu Feb 13 00:20:05 EST 1997

In <01bc185c$cbea0260$2158cf9b at slirp.hol.gr> "Stavros P. Zanos"
<stavrosz at med.auth.gr> writes:

>F. Frank LeFever <flefever at ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
><5dbkeg$i1g at dfw-ixnews11.ix.netcom.com>...
>
>> A few years ago, Don Stein reported that intracerebral
administratioon
>> of NGF improved pperformance of rats with cerebral lesions, but not
>> normal rats; indeed, may have impaired performance of normal rats.
>
>This has been shown in several studies since then.

CAN YOU GIVE REFERENCES? OR AT LEAST NAME OF AUTHOR(S) AND APPROXIMATE
DATES?
(F. LeFever)

 It seems that while NGF
>improves performance in impaired animals (e.g. aged rats, rates with
>cerebral lesions etc.), it has the opposite effects when administered
>young or intact animals.

ACUTELY???

>NGF is vital for the development and survival of basal forebrain
>cholinergic neurons. When administered intraventricularly or
>intracerebrally (or even systematically, as reported by Backman et al.
>(1996) J. Neurosci. 16, 5437) it prevents cholinergic neuron loss; it
also
>induces increases in the complexity and vastness of the dendritic
fields of
>these neurons. NGF administration to young adult animals may trigger
>sprouting of intact cholinergic fibers, which leads to undesirable
>modification of basal forebrain cholinergic system function and
results in
>behavioral impairments. For example see:
>
>Crutcher KA, Saffran BN (1990) Soc Neurosci Abstr 16:993
>Saffran, Crutcher (1990) Brain Res 525:11.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Stavros Zanos
>Medical student
>Aristotle University Faculty of Medicine
>Thessaloniki, Greece

THANKS FOR THE REFERENCES; SOME ASPECTS OF THE LONG-TERM EFFECTS MAY BE
RELEVANT.  (if nothing else, will contribute to my overall
understanding of NGF; one interest is in two-way NGF/mast cell
relationship...) HOWEVER, STILL HOPING YOU OR SOMEONE CAN STEER ME TO
STUDIES OF ACUTE EFFECTS!

Frank LeFever
New York Neuropsychology Group