More Co2 = less brains?

Jeroen Schaap Schaap at rullf2.medfac.leidenuniv.nl
Thu Feb 13 12:13:55 EST 1997

In article <Pine.SOL.3.94.970210110656.1242C-100000 at mol>,
   Ralph Leonhardt <leo at neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
:
:Hi,
:
:I don't think that associative learning can be increased in a hypoxic
:state,
:since primarily the putative increase in CO would happen in the

Can you clear my mind on this? Why does hypoxy induce high CO levels?

:blood vessels and CO which binds nearly irreversible to hemoglobin will do
:its part to worsen the situation. This is why you can kill yourself with
:the exhaust gas from your car (no offence intended ;-)).
:
:Leo
:
[]

A man conducting a gee-whizz science show with fifty thousand dollars' worth of
Frankenstein equipment is not doing anything scientific if he knows beforehand
what the results of his efforts are going to be. A motorcycle mechanic, on the
other hand, who honks the horn to see if the battery works is informally
conducting a true scientific experiment.

							Robert M. Pirsig

         Faculty of Medicine, Leiden University
phone:   (0)71-5276763
e-mail:  SCHAAP at rullf2.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl