More Co2 = less brains?

Anders Skarsb| ip693 at lstud.ii.uib.no
Thu Feb 13 15:36:03 EST 1997

Richard. wrote:

>           This letter was brought to you by Richard James Edgar
>                                    ---
>        Whose nice comfy Gorilla slippers have holes in their soles!
>
> On Sat, 8 Feb 1997, Jay Hanson wrote:
>
> > Obviously, more atmospheric Co2 means less O2 available as
> > percentages of total gases.  I remember reading, quite some
> > time ago, that as the Co2 percentage goes up, the cognitive
> > abilities of man are decreased.
>
> Human beings only use 20% of the air they breathe in anyway so even if the
> percentage oxygen in the atmosphere halves (would require *HUGE* raise in
> CO2 levels) then we would still be okay.
>
> What i am saying is that unless there is a 3-4000%+ rise in CO2 levels we
> are safe! :)

Humans use only 20%? Are u sure you are not refering to the fact that
the oxygen in the air is 20% ? The higher the oxygen percentage in the
air, the more oxygen we get, to the point of oxygen-poisoning. (I don't
know what level that ocures at) So if the O2 percentage halves, I would
think breathing would become dificoult. (Purely hypothetical of course)