More Co2 = less brains?

Brian Scott brians at interlog.com
Thu Feb 13 18:49:56 EST 1997

In article <5dvgu2$rd7 at highway.leidenuniv.nl>,
Jeroen Schaap <Schaap at rullf2.medfac.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>In article <32FDFFE4.4E9A at osprey.unf.edu>,
>   jander at OSPREY.UNF.EDU ("John E. Anderson") wrote:
>:Jason C. Doss wrote:
>:>
>:> "Ronald Blue" <rcb5 at MSN.COM> wrote in article
>:> <UPMAIL07.199702081833380330 at msn.com>...
>:> >
>[]

[stuff deleted]

>Higher %CO2 in atmosphere will acidify blood only when atmospheric %CO2 will
>influence %CO2 in blood. But, seems unlikely to happen, %CO2 being determined by
> production of CO2 in body! Lungs are important in clearing blood-CO2, not in
>taking it. At least, this holds for appr. normal atm. %C02, say .05%. Tenfold
>increase of  CO2 would NOT seriously effect bl %CO2 NOR atm %O2.

A *TEN* fold increase would NOT seriously affect blood CO2?  Are you
sure?  The PCO2 in atmosphere would affect the alveolar (lung) CO2.
Changing this in any way changes the rate at which blood CO2 can diffuse
across the alveolar membrane and hence th body's ability to rid itself of
excess CO2.  This is determined by the partial pressures of CO2 in blood
AND lung.  I don't know how well ventillation and the body's buffering
mechanisms could cope with the increased acidity which IS bound to occur
in the face of a TEN fold increase in atmospheric CO2 levels.  We really
need a respiratory physiologist here though.  I think they would be able
to clear this up without much difficulty.

--
Brian Scott        |"I cured the patient with a manual stimulation of the
brians at interlog.com| vagina and clitoris and the patient took great pleasure