More Co2 = less brains?

Brian Scott brians at
Thu Feb 13 19:08:12 EST 1997

In article <5dvh51$rd7 at>,
Jeroen Schaap <Schaap at> wrote:
>In article <5dmtq2$em0 at>,
>   patrick at (Patrick Juola) wrote:
>:You're confusing the behavior of CO2 with the behavior of CO; CO2 doesn't
>:displace oxygen from hemoglobin.
>:	Patrick
>Do me a feavour and check out a physiology handbook. That is: CO2 DOES
> displace
>O2 from heamoglobin, BUT carbonmonooxid does irreversibly bind to O2 binding

According to my handy text here, "An increase in the concentration of
carbon dioxide results in an increase in acidity which in turn
decreases the affinity of oxygen for haemoglobin." (_Biological
Science - Principles an Patterns of Life_, G. Wilson)

So it seems to be more the change in pH as opposed to the binding of CO2.

Brian Scott        |"I cured the patient with a manual stimulation of the
brians at| vagina and clitoris and the patient took great pleasure
 M.Sc. student     | from this, much semen came out and she was cured."
 Neurophysiology   | - Galen's treatment for hysteria (130 a.d. - 200 a.d.)