More Co2 = less brains?

Brian Scott brians at interlog.com
Thu Feb 13 19:08:12 EST 1997

In article <5dvh51$rd7 at highway.leidenuniv.nl>,
Jeroen Schaap <Schaap at rullf2.medfac.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
>In article <5dmtq2$em0 at news.ox.ac.uk>,
>   patrick at gryphon.psych.ox.ac.uk (Patrick Juola) wrote:
>[]
>:
>:You're confusing the behavior of CO2 with the behavior of CO; CO2 doesn't
>:displace oxygen from hemoglobin.
>:
>:	Patrick
>
>Do me a feavour and check out a physiology handbook. That is: CO2 DOES
> displace
>O2 from heamoglobin, BUT carbonmonooxid does irreversibly bind to O2 binding
>sites.

According to my handy text here, "An increase in the concentration of
carbon dioxide results in an increase in acidity which in turn
decreases the affinity of oxygen for haemoglobin." (_Biological
Science - Principles an Patterns of Life_, G. Wilson)

So it seems to be more the change in pH as opposed to the binding of CO2.

Brian

--
Brian Scott        |"I cured the patient with a manual stimulation of the
brians at interlog.com| vagina and clitoris and the patient took great pleasure