More Co2 = less brains?

Jeroen Schaap Schaap at rullf2.medfac.leidenuniv.nl
Fri Feb 14 05:34:09 EST 1997

In article <v01540b01af28eddb9282@[146.226.4.215]>,
   rhall at uvi.edu (Richard Hall) wrote:
:RLH writes-
:
:We have an instance of the blind leading the blind.  This string has been a

Oops... I am called blind...

:continuum of misinformation.  For example:

I do agree on the misinfo part.
:

:Patrick says "CO2 does not bind more tightly to hemoglobin than oxygen."
:
:Jerorem replies "I don't remember binding parameters [sic] for CO2 versus
Jeroen
:O2.  But one hemoglobin can bind 4 oxygen and only 1 CO2.
:
:Binding affinities and binding stochiometry are different parameters.
:Apples and oranges.

Totally true.. Thanks for correcting me if I was unclear.

[]

To the point, it was said atmospheric CO2 influences brain mass or whatever.
Patrick uses CO2 vs O2 binding to argue that atmospheric Pco2 influences blood
Pco2. I am not so sure this is true. I'd rather say variations in atm Pco2 have
little influence on blood pco2. Two reasons: "influx" co2 to blood consists of
co2 produced in body, not of atmospheric co2. Two, pco2 in blood is in dynamic
balance with carbonate. Blood is "carbonate-buffered", so to induce change in bl
pco2 you need a large influx of co2.

Maybe I am not clear enough. So I do agree with Richard when he refers to any
textbook on physiology.

Meanwhile I haven't heard any argumentation in favor of an influence of CO2 on
brain mass.

Regards,

Jeroen

:
:Richard Hall
:Comparative Animal Physiologist
:Division of Sciences and Mathematics
:University of the Virgin Islands
:St. Thomas, USVI  00802
:
:809-693-1386
:rhall at uvi.edu
:
:

A man conducting a gee-whizz science show with fifty thousand dollars' worth of
Frankenstein equipment is not doing anything scientific if he knows beforehand
what the results of his efforts are going to be. A motorcycle mechanic, on the
other hand, who honks the horn to see if the battery works is informally
conducting a true scientific experiment.

							Robert M. Pirsig

         Faculty of Medicine, Leiden University
phone:   (0)71-5276763
e-mail:  SCHAAP at rullf2.MedFac.LeidenUniv.nl