CO2 and muscles/bone evolution

Ronald Blue rcb5 at MSN.COM
Fri Feb 14 22:40:53 EST 1997

The proposal I made that muscles could have evolved into bones 250 million
years is not supportable for the following reason.

True that high concentrations of calcium will cause muscles to become
bones.  True that high CO2 levels in the water will reduce CaOH
from the sea water by the formation of CaCO2.

What is the problem is that fish existed 500 million years ago.

Finback dinosaurs where present 250 million years ago.

So the high CO2 levels that may have lead to a die out of 98%
250 million years ago was not related to the formation of bones.

I knew that finbacks existed 250 million years ago but had forgotten
this fact in the question over high CO2 levels.  The high CO2 levels
were also associated with high volcanic activity in what is now
the Soviet Union.  This could be connected to a large asteroid
impact on the other side of the earth.  Sort like a small hole in of
about 10 miles and big shock hole out of 200 miles of volcanic activity.
There is little or no support for this by the way.  The high sulfric acid from
the volcanic activity maybe the reason for the high die out.

By the way shrimp put in high CO2 water environment go dormant for
up to 4 years with no oxygen according to a recent article in the
New Scientist.

Ron Blue