largest cell on Earth?

Eugene Leitl Eugene.Leitl at lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Mon Feb 17 16:48:17 EST 1997

On 17 Feb 1997,  Russell J. Buono Ph.D. wrote:

> how about a corticospinal neuron in the great blue whale?  could be
> meters long!!   Russ Buono Ph.D. Dept Path, Jefferson Medical College.
> Phila, PA USA

I think there is an algae cell several centimeters in size (SciAm aricle?).
Squid axons are not too small, also. Spaghetti bacteria are about 3 cm
long. Is the ostrich's egg really a single cell?!

ciao,
'gene

|mailto:ui22204 at sunmail.lrz-muenchen.de |transhumanism >H, cryonics,         |
|mailto:Eugene.Leitl at uni-muenchen.de    |nanotechnology, etc. etc.           |