fetal people

James Woodson jwoodson at ucla.edu
Mon Feb 17 13:58:47 EST 1997

>Neurobiologically, a fetus becomes a person at about 9 months
>post-natal, or 18 months after conception.  This is because the need
>for the woman to be capable of efficient locomotion precludes
>enlargement of the cervix to a large enough diameter to permit
>complete maturation of the child's brain in the uterus; among
>placental mammals this species-wide premature birth situation is
>unique, I believe.
>
>-Daniel Pouzzner

So, you're saying that one becomes a person when their brain "matures"
completely? Not to be rude, but if your brain is no longer capable of
maturation and is not continuing to do so, you're probably dead.

James Woodson

James C. Woodson* - Behavioral Neuroscience
U.C.L.A. Dept. of Psychology, Franz Hall
405 Hilgard Ave.
Los Angeles, CA  90293

* Research in mechanisms and loci of sexual differentiation of the brain,
motivated responding, developmental interactions between nerve growth
factors and endogenous gonadal steroids, evolutionary psychology, & learned
helplessness.  All opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not reflect
those of the University of California, Los Angeles.

P.S. You may be able to find out more about me by visiting my (brand new)
web site, at http://164.67.14.19  Please let me know if it works or not...
James