largest cell on Earth?

Andrew Doherty A.Doherty at Bris.ac.uk
Tue Feb 18 03:33:07 EST 1997

> >long. Is the ostrich's egg really a single cell?!
> >
> >ciao,
> >'gene
>
> Sure it is...isn't it?  I mean, it's an ovum and if it's fertilized
> it starts dividing right?  Help me out here people!  :-)
>
> Brian

Well, I'm not so sure an ostrich egg, as such, is a single cell. Surely
the ostrich ovem is the cell, which becomes the egg i.e. produces the
shell, yolk sac, albumin...etc. So the ostrich egg may only contain one
cell, but is not itself that cell - I think - sort of - d'ya get what I
mean? I'm not sure I do, but then I'm not an ostrich biologist!!!

TTFN

Andy
Dr Andrew Doherty		email -  a.doherty at bris.ac.uk
Dept. Anatomy			Tel (0117)9287421
School of Medical Sciences	Fax (0117)9287402
University of Bristol
University Walk
Bristol UK
BS8 1TD