largest cell on Earth?

Brian Scott brians at interlog.com
Wed Feb 19 00:02:39 EST 1997

In article <330a676e.37903907 at news.ucs.ubc.ca>,
Lance Corey <lance at neuro.pharmacology.ubc.ca> wrote:
>brians at interlog.com (Brian Scott) wrote:

>>>Well, I'm not so sure an ostrich egg, as such, is a single cell. Surely
>>>the ostrich ovem is the cell, which becomes the egg i.e. produces the
>>>shell, yolk sac, albumin...etc. So the ostrich egg may only contain one
>>>cell, but is not itself that cell - I think - sort of - d'ya get what I
>>>mean? I'm not sure I do, but then I'm not an ostrich biologist!!!
>>

>>According to _Molecular Biolog of the Cell_ by Alberts et al.,  bird's
>>eggs are single cells.
>
>IMHO, I don't blieve that the whole egg is one cell; more likely, it is a
>cell surrounded by yolk and albumen.
>
>Lance Corey
>	lance at neuro.pharmacology.ubc.ca

I guess it depends on your definition of a cell.  Alberts et al. say that
the yolk is contained within an organelle -- yolk granules -- within the
cell's cytoplasm.  They don't say the ovum is a cell associated with an
external yolk-containing body.

Brian

--
Brian Scott          | "In other studies you go as far as others have gone
brians at interlog.com  |  before you, and there is nothing more to know; but