Book Review - The Cerebral Code

Diana Diamond ddiamond at shell01.ozemail.com.au
Wed Feb 19 18:30:40 EST 1997

On Wed, 19 Feb 1997, Harlan Harris wrote:

> In article <5eer9n$s0g at reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net> you write:
> >For a top-down view of cerebral coding see
> >http://www.ozemail.com.au/~ddiamond
>
> What? That's a I-Ching page. Are you trying to be funny, insulting, or both?
>
>  -Harlan

I suggest you go back and look at it *really* carefully Harlen.

THe I Ching part is a demonstration of the undelaying template upon which
all metaphor is based. (for that is what the I Ching is, as well as
mathematics).

Neurologically the brain deals with wholes and their aspects.
The psychology makes maps (metaphors) to categorise the wholes and their
aspects. The primary tool used is that of dichotomisation that enables
the creation of consensus maps. (otherwise all 'maps' would be too
personalised to share).

The reason people find 'value' in the esoteric systems is because they
are based on the proposed template. The 'problem' with these systems is
that they are old metaphors that are often taken literally.

FYI there is also a section dealing with the dichotomous derivation of
mathematics - the major 'tool' of dichotomous analysis, especially in a
cartesian system which is dichotomous in form.

Go through it carefully Harlen - you could learn something. :-)

Chris.

PS Neurology reference list is a link at the end of "the brain's way of
dealing with wholes and their aspects" link.

There is an essay aimed at the esoterically-biased individuals in the
essays page called "The logic of the esoteric".
It emphasises the metaphor aspect of these disciplines, all of which have
dichotomous roots. 'meaning' comes from the template rather than the
discipline and it is this that enables the making of analogies across
apparently 'different' disciplines - all of which have dichotomous roots.

A couple of academics have asked me to split the material but to me that
would defeat the purpose of showing the common ground (and the I Ching
bias attracts more people! :-) The idea is to sow a seed in that by
getting 'meaningful' results on the I Ching they will go deeper into the
material and discover the structure of metaphor. For you, there is enough
material there to read and still by-pass the esoteric if you wish but by
getting into the I Ching as well you may start to 'see' what is
happening; you start to see the mind at work.