When does a fetus become a person?

Carlos M. S. Antunes cmsa at global-one.pt
Wed Feb 19 13:22:43 EST 1997

In article <5ef5sr$2oqm$2 at news-s01.ny.us.ibm.net>,
	rafink at ibm.net (Robert A. Fink, M. D.) writes:

> This debate is interesting.  We have already used the EEG as a
> definition of "death" in the brain death statutes; if there is no EEG
> activity, then there is brain death.  If we stay consistent, we should
> consider that a fetal EEG can be measured at about 8 weeks, and thus,
> the fetus is "brain alive" at that point.  Since the fetus is
> unmistakably human, the "conclusion" could be that abortion after 8
> weeks is homicide.

Is it possible to have EEG activity and the person be dead?

Also, I don't think this conclusion is entirely correct. You are assuming
that birth and death are simetric situations. And they are not. For
instance, while development of a person takes several months or years,
death could take only a minute.

Thank you!

Regards,
Carlos Antunes.

--
| Carlos M. S. Antunes         | "The important thing is not to stop |