Prion diseases : similarities?

Mr A Yool lsrgi at csv.warwick.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 06:41:42 EST 1997

Hello everyone,

A colleague and I are writing a somewhat speculative article on the
subject of prion diseases, and I was wondering if anyone could
direct me to any papers or articles which answer any of the following
questions :

Assuming that the protein-only hypothesis of prion transmission is
correct,

1.	Is it known whether or not the protein affected in the human
	diseases Kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and
	Gerstmann-Straussler syndrome (GSS), is the same protein in
	each disease?

2.	Are there any papers which outline the time-scales or
	pathology of these diseases?

3.	Is it known whether or not the prion-like protein recently
	discovered in yeast is any relation of the afflicted proteins
	in humans?  (I've been unable to get hold of the reference
	I have for this)

Any assistance would be gratefully received.

A.