Prion diseases : similarities?

higgins at ebi.ac.uk higgins at ebi.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 09:22:31 EST 1997

In article <5ehd9m$315 at crocus.csv.warwick.ac.uk>, lsrgi at csv.warwick.ac.uk (Mr A Yool) writes:
> Hello everyone,
>
> A colleague and I are writing a somewhat speculative article on the
> subject of prion diseases, and I was wondering if anyone could
> direct me to any papers or articles which answer any of the following
> questions :
>
> Assuming that the protein-only hypothesis of prion transmission is
> correct,
>
> 1.	Is it known whether or not the protein affected in the human
> 	diseases Kuru, Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) and
> 	Gerstmann-Straussler syndrome (GSS), is the same protein in
> 	each disease?

Yes, the PrP protein.

> 2.	Are there any papers which outline the time-scales or
> 	pathology of these diseases?

Nice chaty article by Prusiner (who invented the Prion hypothesis) in Scientific
American (January 195) gives a very brief summary (one table).

> 3.	Is it known whether or not the prion-like protein recently
> 	discovered in yeast is any relation of the afflicted proteins
> 	in humans?  (I've been unable to get hold of the reference
> 	I have for this)

If it is a Prion LIKE protein, then that usually means that it is indeed
a relation of the human PrP protein as the likeness is usually just from
sequence comparison (rather than similar expression patterns in the brains of
the two species).

Des Higgins
Biochemistry Dept.
UCC, Cork, Ireland.