largest cell on earth

Brian Scott brians at interlog.com
Fri Feb 21 05:01:31 EST 1997

In article <s30ad117.071 at ssu.edu>, Stephen Gehnrich <SCGEHNRICH at ssu.edu> wrote:
>	The yolk of any bird's egg is a single cell which also contains a
>small bit of "active" cytoplasm and the nucleus.  The albumin (the white
>of the egg) is added to the outside of this cell as it migrates through the
>oviduct.  Ultimately the shell is added.  But the entire yolk, cytoplasm,
>and nucleus of the egg is within a single cell membrane.  Therefore, the
>entire egg is not a single cell (since the albumin is extracellular), but the
>yolk (along with the tiny bit of cytoplasm and nucleus) certainly is.
>	But it would seem that the largest cell in the world belongs to
>the genus Caulerpa, a single-celled alga.  This was described by
>William Jacobs in Scientific American (December 1994, pp. 100-105).
>
>steve gehnrich
>salisbury state university

The article does not say that Caulerpa is the largest cell in the world.
It is the largest single-celled organism.  Do you know of anything that
does say Caulerpa is the largest known cell?  I'd be interested in seeing
this.  The Caulerpa article was very interesting though.  Thanks for
pointing it out.

Brian

--
Brian Scott          | "In other studies you go as far as others have gone
brians at interlog.com  |  before you, and there is nothing more to know; but