Question-Nerve Pain

Sam Kayani sann0418 at sable.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 23 16:48:59 EST 1997

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, stephen m. schindler wrote:

> The pain appears associated with the sciatic nerve. Can there be a direct
> link between the fracture at C2, radiation treatment, and the left leg pain.

Just a medical undergraduate so I'm really just a silent reader and know too
little to be of any use to anyone, but what is the exact nature of the
fracture at C2? (I assume it's the C2 vertabtrate bone you mean). Does this
in any way damage the spinal cord, as damage to the anterolateral system
on the right side (in anterior region of spinal cord) would lead to loss
of pain sensation on the left side (although I don't know about pain
production) and the nubness in the three toes may be due to this and/or
damage to part of the dorsal column (fascisculus gracilis), at the
dorsal region of the spinal cord which carries fibres for tactile sensation
from the leg/feet.

As I say, I'm far too underqualified to be of any use but I'm surprised that
damage to the spinal cord at C2 is not being investigated.

Sam.